The mobile boom is a exciting opportunity for marketers and promoters from bands to barbershops and it is still somewhat in its infancy. If all of the the current capabilities of mobile devices are a sign of things to come, one can only imagine what will come five years from now.
One of the mobile tools businesses, marketers and/or promoters can use is SMS (Short Message Service) marketing, aka Text Message Marketing. In order to start offering coupons and other discount to your mobile list, one has to start creating a list people’s cell numbers to market to… you need some way to get their attention. Below are a few ideas that you can use to start building your mobile marketing list immediately.
- Text-to-Join – Using mobile keywords and short codes, have people text your keyword to your short code and they will be added to your list. This is called “opt-in,” which means they are giving you permission to send them text messages
- Works best when giving away something of value – Contests to win prizes, surveys, newsletter sign-ups, opinion polls, promotions, discounts
- Target Existing and Potential Customers – You want as many people as possible to join your list, so start with those who are already doing business with you. However, don’t forget to utilize the power of Mobile marketing to grab new customers as well.
- Setup an Immediate Response When Someone Joins – It is good practice to have a message setup to go out immediately to welcome new people to your list. It’s good to give them a gift right away to give them that “instant gratification” as well to reduce opt-outs.
Example: Customer texts “good food” to 55555, they receive an automated text message back saying something like: “Thank you for joining the Hamburger Spot mobile list! Show this text to receive 30% off of your next combo meal”
- Advertise your mobile short codes on all of your marketing materials including:
- Inside Your Business Establishment
- On Your Company Vehicles
- Business Cards
- TV Commercials
- Anywhere else your target market will see!
- Website Sign-up – Add a mobile sign-up form to your website and make it visible to your website visitors. Ask them to join your mobile list in exchange for an incentive. You can also create stand-alone mobile web pages just for this purpose alone.
- Email Your List – Email your existing email list and tell them about your new mobile club. Again, ask them to join – most of them would love to because they will get your promotions right away instead of waiting until they check their email again.
- Social Media Sign-Up – Send a call to action to your social media followers asking them to join your mobile list. Most social platforms, such as Facebook and Twitter have list-building applications and widgets that you can use to build a list. Alternatively, you can send them right to your website’s mobile sign-up page.
- Birthday Club Rewards Program Sign-up – Put a form on your website to have people sign-up to your mobile Birthday Club Rewards Program. For instance, while customers are visiting your business, you can have them join while they’re there. After joining, they can receive special offers before other customers, as well as receive something for FREE on their birthday.
- Manual Sign-up – Your staff can offer your customers the option of joining your mobile list and give them an incentive for doing so. You would then enter their phone numbers into your website sign-up form manually. Be sure to have your customers double opt-in.
“Get mobile now, or get ready not to be”